Wednesday, March 05, 2008

Thank You

Over the past three days I have been reminded how much I take for granted on a daily basis. I have bronchitis, but thank God, I am now on the mend. I’m still in bed, but the fact that I even have the strength to type this, that I have the mental clarity to write semi-coherently, proves that I am doing better. I have been pretty much totally bedridden since Monday morning, too weak to move, think, or do anything at all. And the hallucinations were fun, too. I can’t remember the last time I was this sick, if ever. Being sick in a dorm, thousands of miles away from home, is not pleasant, let me tell you. Three days may not sound long, but stuck in bed in a tiny room alone, it feels quite a bit longer.

But of course, I have learned some valuable lessons in appreciation.

I appreciate so much my ability to think, to go to class, to learn, to absorb, and to come to logical conclusions.

I appreciate my ability to create, to write essays, stories, blog posts, and even emails.

I appreciate my ability to be active, to go places and see things and get things done.

With all these abilities taken away from me temporarily, I am reminded how infinitely blessed I am.

And finally, I appreciate my friends. I appreciate every single person who has helped me through this—from wishing me a refuah sheleimah to giving me a hug and not fearing the germs; from getting my prescription for me to bringing me food (you know I wouldn’t have eaten at all if it wasn’t for you guys). Thank you all so much; you are truly wonderful and I love you.

And b’ezrat Hashem, I’ll be up again tomorrow!

5 comments:

Ezzie said...

Amen, and refuah shleimah :D

Erachet said...

I'm so glad you're feeling better, SJ!!!! I will write you a haiku.

Being sick is not a blast
It is so un-fun.
So good your sickness is done!

the apple said...

Yay SJ! Now go do laundry and wash all those nasty germs out of your linen, and OPEN the window to let in some air :D.

M.R. said...

Huzzah for no longer looking like something the cat dragged in!
Wow, I feel better now.

Anonymous said...

So glad that you're recovering. Here's hoping that your refuah should be complete speedily...and that adjusting back to the swing of things should be easy!