Tuesday, January 02, 2007

The Sunny Side of a Rainy Day


With finals finally behind me, I am home once again, and, as usual, a little bored. Today it is rainy and stormy and pouring and gray...which doesn't really help improve the state of one's spirits. But as I sat here bemoaning the uncooperative weather, I remembered something I wrote for an assignment back in ninth grade, so long ago. I went back to my files and looked it up, and since it cheered me up, I figured I would share it with you, in hopes that it might also help anyone else experiencing the rainy day blues.

So here it is, my descriptive paragraph of days of yore:

There is nothing that gives me more of a sense of comfort than a rainy day. The rhythmic patter of the rain on the roof has a hypnotic quality. Sitting in front of a blazing fire, I feel its warmth as the flames make patterns on the wall. They are shadows, leaping up and down in a harmonious, never-ending dance. I hold a steaming cup of hot chocolate in my hands, and as I sip it, my tongue is filled with the taste of its warm, rich, sweetness. I swallow, and it soothes and calms me. I sit curled up on the sofa, and pick up a good book. I eagerly turn the pages, and as I lose myself in tales of strange lands and people I will never meet, I know that I am free from harm, safe and secure, warm in my house. Outside, the rain gets harder and beats mercilessly against the windowpanes. But it does not affect me because I am sheltered, protected, comfortable. The sound of the rain does not wane, and soon I can no longer keep my eyes open. As I fall asleep, a deep sense of satisfaction and happiness envelops me. Home is bliss, on a cold, rainy winter’s day.

Enjoy the rainy day, everyone!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sounds like exactly what I did today--minus the fire....Actually, I also walked in the rain, which is pretty nice too. But mostly, I had a really good time doing nothing. I hope you did too!

Let's get together tomorrow, rain or shine!

SJ said...

Jackie - Wow, you really made the most of the day...hoorah!

Tomorrow--it's a date!

Ezzie said...

The rainy days always helped me think, particularly when it was quite inside. It's even better when you're on something like a bus, or near a window, where you can just stare outside and listen to it come down...

SJ said...

Ezzie - true, true...even just reading your comment made me feel pensive. Luckily for me, I have ample opportunity to think, as today heralds another rainy day!

Ezzie said...

Heh - I just find it relaxing more than anything...